- Medium sized whole red snapper/ any fish with firm texture.
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon oil
- Few sprigs of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Descale the fish and rinse it thoroughly removing unwanted parts.
- Make 3 shallow slits along the sides of the fish.
- Grind the rest of the ingredients to a fine paste contingency.
- Save half of the above masala and rub the rest on the fish and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Sear the fish on a tawa with 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes on each side.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a kadai, temper with curry leaves.
- Add the saved portion of the masala mixed with ¼ cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes until oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Pour the gravy over seared fish.
- Serve with rice and papad/appalam.